Sunday, April 16, 2006

Happy Easter!!!

I don't know much about what is the real problem in Narmada Sarovar Dam. I may be writing this after listening to only one side of the story...

But one thing that has caught my eye over last few days is the defiance shown by a lady against the all powerful government of India...

Her name is Medha Patkar. I know her as the leading environmentalist of our country. She was always in the front row against any one who tried to harm the balance of nature. And I admire her courage and dedication for this cause. Her spirit never wavered in front of opposition from highest echelons of power. Enough to get a high rating in the eyes of a normal person like me who is looking for heroes to change the fortunes of our country...

She is fighting for her life in a hospital as she is on a hunger strike. And it is already more than ten days now. She was arrested and taken to a hospital. Even then she has not stopped her strike. I happened to hear her voice through one of the news channels and even though it was very weak, the words that came out of it were not weak. Here is some one who is as strong willed as any other in this world, I thought...

And this attitude is causing waves in the corridors of power and there seems to be some action being taken by the government to take care of the issues put forward by her. This shows that even at this point the Gandhian way of protests has it's own merits. It is still capable of making the deaf ears of power hear one or two things...

I wish there are more people like her in this world so that everyone around says "Life is Beautiful!!!"

No comments: