Wednesday, April 30, 2008

America's Pastime!

Finally, I did it. I went to watch a sporting event for the first time in US. As a matter of fact, this is the first time ever that I have been to a full fledged stadium to watch live action. And tell you what, except for most part of the game, everything else was great, just like most of the first things in life...

It was a baseball game between Minnesota Twins and Chicago White Sox. One of the client managers tried to organize this as a fun outing for her team including the contractors like us. I was not directly invited but a friend of mine asked me if I would be interested in this and I did not waste even one second before replying to count me in...

Even though only few of us turned up for the match, I was all excited because of the aforementioned fact that this was a first time experience for me. The only shadow over my exuberance was the constant waves of thought about getting a ride back home after the match. It would be around 10 and being in the downtown at that point of time is supposedly risky. But I did not want that fact to stop me from doing this one thing that I always wanted to do from the time I landed in US for first time...


The stadium 'Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome' is an amazing structure by itself. It is an Indoor stadium and the technology used in the construction of roof is something that I have never even heard about (Not that I consider myself an architect par excellence). I am just quoting a few lines from Wikipedia about this roof below:

"The Metrodome roof.The Metrodome's roof is made of two layers of Teflon coated fiberglass fabric, and is an air-supported structure supported by positive air pressure. It requires 250,000 ft³/min (120 m³/s) of air to keep it inflated. It is reputed to be the largest application of Teflon on Earth.
To maintain the differential air pressure, spectators usually enter and leave the seating and concourse areas through revolving doors, since the use of regular doors without an airlock would cause significant loss of air pressure. The double-walled construction allows warmed air to circulate beneath the top of the dome, melting accumulated snow. A sophisticated environmental control center in the lower part of the stadium is manned to monitor weather and make adjustments in air distribution to maintain the roof."

I did not notice the above said things while I was inside it. Just noticed this once I came back home and read about it...

Moreover, this roof gives a real home advantage for the Twins players. This is because of the fact that the roof is almost a light ash colour and even from my seat, I was not able to keep track of all those high balls. They just disappear once it has its background as the roof. Since the home team players practice here, it might be easier for them than those traveling team players...

About the game, Minnesota Twins beat Chicago WhiteSox which is considered as a better team. So it was a lucky night for Twins, may be because I was there to watch the game... :-)

Baseball is a game similar to our cricket, but much much boring. I would say the people who goes to the stadium should do that with a mind to wait for bursts of excitement which pops up in between long intervals of lacklustre action. But, it looks like a great game to play. What I wanted to say was that, as long as you are directly involved in the game, it is a fun game, a lot like golf as a friend of mine puts it. Baseball is boring for someone who doesn't understand the nuances of the game. For example, I love watching the game of test cricket, but most people prefer the shorter versions. Yes, you are right! I was just boasting myself! :-)

The lady who took the initiative for this, who is as exuberant as they come, told me that even though she does not know much about the game, she loves going to the stadium just to treat herself to the sumptuous food available there. And I loved the food too, mostly because I haven't had a hotdog for a loooong time...

I had to start before the game was completely over, as I had to catch the bus and I did not know the downtown much. So it was kind of an adventure coupled with the fact that it was night. Downtowns are usually notorious for crime. So that fear is always there in the mind. I did not face much issue, may be because of the fact that I was mostly running from one bus stop to the other for catching the transfer bus...

All together, it was a nice night out and I am glad that I did it...

Catch y'all later!

No comments: